Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Books-and-Clothes Wish List

January 31, 2009

E-mail from Sheree O'Donnell

Dear Leah,

It's hard to describe just how much joy the books bring to the children at Elma. I love to watch them congregate around a book at break time and try to read out loud, or to choose one to read to them.

I love the idea of a "wish list." The children went crazy for the clothes, so that's definitely a great idea. It's heartbreaking to see the condition of the clothes they come to school in sometimes.

In terms of books, the younger children are always drawn to the colorful ABC style books, with lots of pictures. We also use similar style flash cards which are great fun.

The older children love to learn about different countries and I try to pick stories that they may be able to understand or relate to—I know this is a tall order. Again color, illustrations or photographs always pulls them in. Let me have a think about what other items you could add to the list.

One of the things we are working on is to have a health care worker linked to the school to teach the kids about hygiene, disease control, etc. and I should imagine they are in need of basic resources but I would like to investigate this further.

I'll be in touch soon. Thanks again.

Warm wishes,

Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment